Horizontal broaching refers to the type of machine that is used to broach a piece part. The horizontal machine has the power cylinder and the machine body oriented horizontally, with the broach being pulled through or past the piece part. Some past manufacturers of horizontal broaching machines include: Acme, American, Colonial and Oil Gear. While most horizontal broaching machines are hydraulically operated, some also use electro-mechanical, pneumatic, and mechanical power.
Although horizontal broaching is used primarily to cut internals; external slots, shapes, and forms can also be cut with the proper tooling and fixturing package.
Horizontal broaching machines are typically used to cut internal shapes and forms, such as keyways and squares. However, they can also be tooled to cut external slots and forms.
Principal Advantages of Horizontal Broaching:
- Extremely flexible method for cutting virtually any internal shapes or forms, such as keyways, splines, squares, hexes, etc.
- Very often little or no tooling cost, if we are able to use one of our stock broaches
- Fast setup time
- Can be equipped with specialty adapters to perform complex operations, such as spiral broaching
- Machinery can be specifically matched to the part being cut, for a more efficient cutting operation
Horizontal broaching machines were the first machines to be developed, and are still the most widely used today. Horizontal broaching is typically used to cut straight-sided internal shapes and forms. A primary example of this would be cutting a keyway in a pulley or gear.
V W Broaching Service has a wide variety of horizontal broaching machines, each machine distinguished by its stroke – which defines the length of cut – and its power – which defines the size of cut the machine is able to make.
Horizontal Broaching Resources
- 10 horizontal broaching machines
- 102 inch maximum cut length (in one pass)
- 42 ton maximum cutting power
- One of the largest inventories of stock broach cutting tools in the world
- The ability to cut virtually any machinable material, including stainless steel, plastic, magnesium and powdered metal
- In-house tooling department, capable of sharpening and reconditioning your tools, to preserve tool integrity and longevity
Contact V W Broaching to learn more about our specialty broaching and Wire EDM services!
Click here to submit a Request for Quote
or call us today at 1.800.966.6052