V W Broaching specializes in top quality horizontal broaching services used to cut straight-sided and involute internal shapes and forms. A primary example of this would be cutting a keyway in a pulley or gear. Horizontal broaching refers to the type of machine that is used to broach a piece part. The horizontal machine has the power cylinder and the machine body oriented horizontally, with the broach being pulled through or past the piece part. Some past manufacturers of horizontal broaching machines include: Acme, American, Colonial and Oil Gear. While most horizontal broaching machines are hydraulically operated, some also use electro-mechanical, pneumatic, and mechanical power. Horizontal broaching machines are typically used to cut internal shapes and forms, such as keyways and squares. However, they can also be tooled to cut external slots and forms.
Horizontal broaching machines were the first machines to be developed, and are still the most widely used today. V W Broaching Service has a wide variety of horizontal broaching machines, each machine distinguished by its stroke – which defines the length of cut – and its power – which defines the size of cut the machine is able to make.
Horizontal Broaching Advantages
- Extremely flexible method for cutting virtually any internal shapes or forms, such as keyways, splines, squares, hexes, etc.
- Very often little or no tooling cost, if we are able to use one of our stock broaches
- Fast setup time
- Can be equipped with specialty adapters to perform complex operations, such as spiral broaching
- Machinery can be specifically matched to the part being cut, for a more efficient cutting operation
Horizontal Broaching Capabilities
- 10 horizontal broaching machines
- 102 inch maximum cut length (in one pass)
- 42 ton maximum cutting power
- One of the largest inventories of stock broach cutting tools in the world
- The ability to cut virtually any machinable material, including stainless steel, plastic, magnesium and powdered metal
- In-house tooling department, capable of sharpening and reconditioning your tools, to preserve tool integrity and longevity
Quality You Can Count On
V W Broaching, an ISO 9001:2015 certified company, is one of the largest specialty machine shops in the Midwest. Known in the industry for the high quality of our work, we stand behind what we do. We carry state of the art horizontal broaching machines, capable of handling a variety of applications. For your horizontal broaching needs, contact us directly at 888-605-9754 or use our secure form below to speak to one of our knowledgeable staff members. If horizontal broaching is not the service you are looking for click here to view our broaching services.